The Laboratory of Crystallographic Studies (LEC) organises a series of International crystallisation schools every year during the last week of May in Granada (Spain). Both Schools deal with the fundamental principles of crystallisation (solution properties, nucleation, crystal growth kinetics and mechanisms, morphology, crystallisation techniques, screening), but applied to different fields:
- ISBC Granada (International School of Biological Crystallisation): Biological macromolecules, biominerals and biomimetic materials, with one full day devoted to case studies on the crystallisation of membrane proteins, viruses and large macromolecular complexes.
- ISC Granada (International School of Crystallisation): Pharmaceutical active compounds, foods, agrochemicals, minerals and new materials, including polymorphism, co-crystals and industrial crystallisation.
The Schools are intended for postgraduate and postdoctoral students as well as research scientists from industry and academiawho seek fundamental knowledge of the crystallisation phenomenon and the behaviour of crystallising solutions. Attendance is limited to 130 participants.
- A selection of some of the best international experts in various crystallisation fields.
- Review of fundamental concepts and applications of crystallisation.
- Practical case study presentations.
- “Demonstration Fair”: practical hands-on demonstrations of the main crystallisation techniques.
- Poster sessions by young researchers.
- Exhibitor’s area.
- Social programme: night visit to the Alhambra and Flamenco dinner.
The Schools are sponsored by the International Union of Crystallography (IUCr), The Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness of Spain, the International University Menendez Pelayo, the University of Granada, and the Specialized Group of Crystallography and Crystal Growth (GE3C) of the Spanish Royal Society of Chemistry, and are supported by the Working Party on Crystallization (WPC) of the European Federation of Chemical Engineers and the International Organization of Crystal Growth.
If you want to know more about each year’s edition, navigate through the right-hand menu.
- ISC 2012 – Overview
- ISBC 2011 – Overview
- ISC 2010 – Overview
- ISC 2009 – Overview
- ISBC 2009 – Overview
- ISBC 2006 – Overview